If you think your only options for enjoying pizza with friends are to fork over big bucks for takeout or go big and make homemade dough, pita pizzas are going to be your new best friend. Pita bread makes an amazing crust, and letting your guests make their own customized pizzas makes for a fun, DIY-style meal. Today I’m going to show you how to host an easy pita pizza party that both kids and adults will love.
Why Pita Pizzas Are Great
After college I lived in Togo, West Africa for 2 years. And if you’ve lived abroad, you know how important it feels to find ways to make your favorite foods from home. For the longest time, I thought my only chance at eating pizza there was to make my own crust. I didn’t mind doing that, but it was a bit of work after a long day out in the villages.
One day, my friend, Jana, suggested using pita bread as a way to make a quick pizza. I thought she was a genius! We could easily buy pita bread in the capitol, and when I tried it, I found that they made an amazing crispy pizza crust. Now I could walk in my kitchen, make a pita pizza, and be eating within 20 minutes.
Almost 20 years later, I still love making pita pizzas. My kids like “decorating” their own, and I like that it’s a meal where I don’t have to do as much work. I just set out the toppings and make sure the kids keep most of the cheese on their pizzas and not on the baking sheet.
I also love making pita pizzas when we have a group over, especially with kids, because who doesn’t love making their own personal pizza? You can make them as simple or as gourmet as you like, and because they’re customized, you don’t have to worry about who likes which toppings. Let’s take a look at how to make them.
How to Make Pita Pizzas
Making pita pizzas is so easy that I’m almost embarrassed to add instructions. But if you’ve never made them, you’ve never made them. And I know it’s nice to have some directions when you’re doing something for the first time.
1. Spread 2 Tablespoons of pizza sauce on the pita bread. You can make homemade sauce, but my all-time favorite pizza sauce is Chef Boyardee. My family made Chef Boyardee pizza kits growing up, and the sauce is amazing. Try it! (You can buy it at most grocery stores.)
2. Sprinkle cheese and arrange toppings. (More about toppings in a minute.)
4. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or grill for 5-10 minutes. The pizza is done when the cheese is browned and the crust is crisp.
Ideas for Pizza Toppings
When it comes to pizza toppings, the sky’s the limit. But here is a list of some basic toppings you may want to offer. (Don’t feel pressure to have all of these toppings available. This is just to get you thinking.)
- Marinara/Classic Pizza Sauce
- Garlic & Olive oil
- Feta/goat cheese
- Italian sausage
- Canadian bacon
- grilled chicken
Veggies & Herbs
- bell peppers
- onions or caramelized onions
- fresh tomatoes
- banana peppers
- fresh basil
- fresh garlic
Pizza Topping Combinations
Most of your guests will pick and choose what toppings they want on their pita pizza, but some might want to be a little adventurous and make a specialty pizza. If you’re looking to go a little gourmet, here are some delicious topping combos:
- Meat Lovers: sausage, pepperoni, ham, bacon, mozzarella
- Veggie Lovers: bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, olives, mushrooms
- Supreme: pepperoni, sausage, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives
- BLT: ranch dressing, bacon, cheddar cheese; tomatoes, lettuce (added after cooked)
- Hawaiian: ham/bacon, red onions, pineapple, green peppers
- White chicken: alfredo sauce, grilled chicken, red onions, bacon, cheddar
- Barbecue: Barbecue sauce, grilled chicken, cheddar, bacon
- Bacon Cheeseburger: bacon, cheddar cheese, ground beef, red onions
- Chicken Artichoke: basil, garlic, feta, mozzarella, chicken, artichoke, parmesan
- Buffalo Chicken: ranch, buffalo-marinated chicken, bacon, cheddar
- Mediterranean: hummus, artichoke hearts, olives, tomatoes, feta
Pita Pizza Party Tips
Hosting a pita pizza party is super easy and makes for a fun, casual get-t0gether with friends. Here are some tips and ideas to help things go more smoothly:
- Ask your guests to bring some toppings. You can provide the pita bread, pizza sauce, and cheese and ask them to bring 1-2 toppings each.
- Make a pita pizza assembly line. Arrange the ingredients in the following order: pita bread, sauces, cheeses, and vegetables/herbs.
- Write some of the topping combos (from above) on a chalkboard or white board. That way, guests can have some inspiration to make their perfect pizza.
- Provide 3-4 baking sheets if you’re cooking the pizzas in the oven. Only 2 pitas will fit on a baking sheet at a time, and with several baking sheets going at a time, you can have a constant rotation in and out of the oven.
- Relax and have fun! Don’t stress the small stuff — keep things casual and enjoy time with your friends. No one cares what your house looks like or if something goes wrong.
- A Pita pizza party is fun for kids. How often do kids get to make their own meal? They feel so grown up to choose toppings and “decorate” their own pizzas. It’s a great idea for a birthday party, a sleepover, or just a fun get-together!
Pita pizzas are a fun and easy way to entertain. Whether you’re hosting adults for gourmet pizzas or kids for simple ones, a pita pizza party is a great option for your next casual get-together.
Like this post? You might also like these:
30 Food Bloggers Share Their Best Dinner Party Ideas
13 Charcuterie Board Ideas for Easy Entertaining
41 Homemade Charcuterie Board Ingredients
Easy, Homemade Chili
Share this post on Pinterest! And while you’re there, follow me. Click on my Welcoming Table Pinterest board in the sidebar (or at the end of this post on mobile)!
Leave a Reply