Move over, Chipotle. This Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef is to die for.
If you like Mexican food, you’re going to love this shredded beef. It couldn’t be any easier to make, but with flavors of salsa verde and garlic, the taste is amazing. You make this recipe in the Instant Pot (or any electric pressure cooker), but I’m also going to share instructions for cooking it in the slow cooker.
Let’s make us some meat, shall we?
How to Make Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Beef
1. Cut a 3-5 pound beef roast into 3-4 pieces and put it into the Instant Pot. If you try to cook a roast whole, it will take a lot longer to cook. (I learned the hard way.)
2. Cover the roast with all of the other ingredients and set to High Pressure for 90 minutes.
3. Quick Release.
4. Remove the meat to a large platter or dish and shred with 2 forks.
5. Spoon some of the liquid onto the meat to moisten and flavor it. Adjust salt to taste.
How to Make Mexican Shredded Beef in the Slow Cooker
Making this Mexican meat in the slow cooker is super easy, just like the Instant Pot, except you don’t even have to cut the roast into pieces. Here is how to make it in the slow cooker.
1. Put a 3-5 pound beef roast in the slow cooker and cover with all the other ingredients.
2. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
3. Remove the meat to a large platter or dish and shred with 2 forks.
4. Spoon some of the liquid onto the meat to moisten and flavor it.
How to Serve Mexican Shredded Beef
My favorite way to serve this beef is on a Build-Your-Own Mexican Food Bar. Mexican food bars are an easy way to feed a crowd because each person can customize his or her plate to make whatever their heart desires: taco salad, burritos, burrito bowls, or nachos. It’s a great option when you’re serving guests who have special dietary needs.
When I’m serving a Mexican food bar, these are the things that I typically set out:
- Mexican Shredded Beef
- shredded lettuce
- tortilla chips
- rice or flour tortillas
- black beans or refried beans
- sautéed fajita veggies
- diced onions
- Couldn’t-Be-Easier -Homemade Salsa
Leftover Mexican Shredded Beef
You can make lots of dishes with leftover Mexican meat.
Here are a few:
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas
- Taco Salad
- Shredded Beef Nachos
- Street Tacos
Mexican Shredded Beef is a great main dish for your next fiesta. Let me know in the comments if you try it!
Mexican Shredded Beef
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 -- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped (or sub 1 teaspoon onion powder)
- 3-4 lb. beef roast (any cut)
Cut the roast into 2-3 chunks and place in the Instant Pot.
Rub the roast with garlic, cumin, and salt and pour onions and salsa verde over the top.
Pour water in, trying to avoid the top of the roast.
Close the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 1 1/2 hours. Quick release.
Remove the roast from the pot and shred with two forks.
Pour 1/2 -- 1 cup of liquid from the pot over the meat for the best flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.