Mexican Chicken Rotel Casserole
Mexican Chicken Casserole with Rotel is one of my favorite dishes from my childhood. It was one of the first dishes I ever learned to make, and to me, it’s pure comfort food. Layers of chicken, tortilla chips, rotel, cream of mushroom soup, and Velvet combine to make a creamy, cheesy casserole that’s hard to forget.
If you’re looking for make-ahead casseroles for a crowd, it’s a winner and so simple to make. And while it packs a little bit of heat, even kids typically like this dish.
Ingredients in Mexican Chicken Casserole
This isn’t diet food, but it’s sooo good. Here are the ingredients you need:
- Cooked, diced chicken
- Garlic powder
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Diced tomatoes with chiles (Rotel)
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Velveeta cheese
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
Mexican Chicken is all about the layers — it’s what makes this recipe easily memorizable.
1. Spray a 9×13 dish with cooking spray, and create your first layer of diced chicken.
2. Next layer your tortilla chips on top of the chicken.
3. Pour Rotel (or tomatoes with green chiles) over the chips, juice and all.
4. Shred Velveeta with a grater.
5. In a large bowl, mix shredded Velveeta and the cream of mushroom soup.
6. Spread the Velveeta/soup mixture over the top of the casserole.
7. Cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
Tips for Making Mexican Chicken Casserole
- You need a 9×13 dish for this casserole. I love this turquoise one.
- You can use Rotel or any brand of canned tomatoes with green chiles.
- Grating Velveeta can be tricky. To make it easier, stick it in the freezer for 15 minutes first.
- You can also buy shredded Velveeta next to the other shredded cheeses, if you prefer.
- If you’re concerned about the spiciness, you can always buy the mild Rotel to make it less spicy.
If you need a simple cheesy chicken casserole, you can’t go wrong with Mexican Chicken Casserole with Rotel. It’s easy to make, a crowd-pleasing recipe, and delicious! Let me know if you try it.
Mexican Chicken Casserole with Rotel
Creamy and cheesy, this Mexican Chicken Casserole with Rotel is sure to become a new crowd favorite for your parties.
- 4 cups cooked, diced chicken
- 4-5 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cans Rotel
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
Spray a 9x13 dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make a layer of chicken in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with garlic salt.
Layer the crushed tortilla chips over the chicken.
Pour Rotel (juices and all) over the tortilla chip layer.
Grate Velveeta and mix with cream of mushroom soup in a large bowl.
Cook at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!