White Mexican Cheese Dip
I’ve declared my love for chips and dip many times before. Hummus, Guacamole, Salsa, Ranch — it doesn’t matter. Just give me some chips and dip, and I’m a happy camper.
My love affair with chips and dip started when I was growing up. My family made Velveeta cheese dip with Rotel for almost every sleepover, party, or game night I had at my house. It was my absolute favorite dip of all times.
Until one day, I ordered that white cheese dip that I saw others eating at Mexican restaurants, and my life changed. The creaminess of that white queso blew me away. And all of the sudden, Velveeta and Rotel didn’t cut it anymore.
I never realized how easy it would be to make white cheese dip at home until I tried it. It is super easy, and it tastes delicious by itself with chips or alongside a buffet of Mexican food. Want to try it yourself?
Here’s my easy Mexican White Queso recipe.Jump to Recipe
- White American cheese from the deli
- 4-oz can of green chiles
- Half and Half
- Garlic salt
How to Make White Queso Dip Like Mexican Restaurants
- Cut the cheese into chunks if you bought it in one piece and place it in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add green chiles, Half and Half, and garlic salt.
- Heat for 3:00 minutes at 60% power. Stir well and cook in 1.5 minute intervals at 60% power, stirring after each interval. Add Half and Half as needed to make it the consistency you want.
- Give one final stir and serve with chips!
Tips & Equipment for Making White Queso
- If you can get Land of Lakes brand of White American cheese, it melts the best. You can typically find it at Wal-mart and sometimes Kroger. Off-brand works, though, if you can’t find that brand.
- You can buy the cheese in a block or in slices — it’s going to get all melted, so it really doesn’t matter. But you do have to buy it at the deli. I don’t recommend Velveeta’s Queso Blanco.
- You can substitute heavy cream or even milk for the Half and Half.
- If you want to keep this cheese dip warm for a party and avoid having to return it to the microwave, use a Crock-Pot Little Dipper.
If you’re looking for a good white Mexican cheese dip recipe, you can’t go wrong with this White Queso. It’s creamy with a little heat, great for a crowd, and easy to make — a 5-star recipe, in my book!
Pin this White Queso for later!
Like-Your-Favorite-Mexican-Restaurant White Queso Recipe
Creamy with a touch of heat, this White Queso Recipe will be the hit of your next Mexican buffet!
- 1 lb. White American Cheese (from the deli)
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- 1/3 cup Half and Half (add more as needed)
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
Cut cheese into chunks if in one block. Combine in a microwave-safe bowl with green chiles, Half and Half, and garlic salt.
Cook the dip in the microwave for 3 minutes at 60% power. Stir and continue cooking in 1.5-minute intervals at 60% power until completely melted. Add more Half and Half until your desired consistency.
Give one final stir and serve with tortilla chips!